Saturday, January 5, 2008

Nora Lee

This is my grandmother Nora, she was born in 1896 and died when I was eight years old. When Nora was three years old her 26 year old mother married a 57 year old widowed gentleman. It was not uncommon then for a young woman to marry an older widower, especially since women sometimes died young, leaving behind a husband and children. Her husband had lost an arm during a charge at the Battle of Winchester on August 17, 1864. He was 22 years old at the time and a member of the 36th Virginia Infantry Regiment, under the command of General John McCausland and Colonial William E. Fife. The 36th Infantry disband April 12, 1865 in Christiansburg, Virginia, after hearing of General Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, Virginia. In 1888, twenty-five years after losing his arm in the war the State of Virginia granted a pension to soldiers who were injured or maimed; he received $30 annually.
I have always had an interest in the who, what, when, where and how about the history of my family. It has been so wonderful to discover the lives of those who came before us. Share these stories with your family, talk to older family members about their experiences growing up. You will be so glad you did! A good place to start is http://www.ancestry.com

7 comments:

Edi said...

My mother-in-law has some old, photos - and no one knows who all the people are.

I think it's important too - if you are the possessor of old photos and know who the people are - make sure you record it somewhere.

How sad for all the identities of these wonderful old photos to be forgotten.

Liz Harrell said...

She was beautiful! I started working on a family tree several years ago and finally had to stop, it was all consuming! I have an entire notebook full of trees, it is overwhelming!

kari and kijsa said...

We stumbled across your blog and we are so glad we did...we love history and hearing the story about your family's history!

Have a blessed day...

kari & kijsa

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Hi Sandra,
You left a comment on my blog that you are interested in joining My Vintage Heart Swap. If you are still interested please send me your mailing address, blog link, and style preference also if you don't mind an international partner or if you prefer to ship in the us only!
My email addy is in my profile!
Let me know as soon as possible as I will assign partners on the 10th!

Hugz, Dolly
www.frommycherryheart.blogspot.com

the said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet picture and story. $30 pension ? Ugh ! That poor man , seems so unfair .
Have a great week !
Stephanie

Donna Gotlib said...

Thanks so much for sharing Nora Lee. I would love to hear more!
-Cookie Sunshine

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi again! I posted my last comment before seeing your next posting. What a great story behind your Grandmother's marriage. I love reading about those. My Great Great Grandfather was also in the Civil War. Unfortunately anything to do with that burned in a fire. But, we did find neat stuff through ancestry.com and the Veteran's Dept. Great job!

~ Jillian