Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Josef Originals - Yellow Belle

My daughter and I went to Goodwill this evening for some bargain hunting. I eyed this little Josef Originals figurine for $1. She is missing a arm, and the bell clapper but other than that is in pretty good condition. When my daughter was young she received several of the birthday figurines and I bought her one for her confirmation.

Josef Originals ceramics were designed by Muriel Joseph George. The first pieces were made in California from 1945 to 1962. They were then manufactured in Japan. The company was sold to George Good in 1982 and he continued to make Josef Originals until 1985. The company was then sold to Southland Corporation. The name is now owned by Applause, and the Birthday Girl series is still being made.

If anyone knows anything about this particular figurine I would love to hear from you.



9 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What a sweet little figurine.
Alison

Hope said...

Nice little figure, Sandra. She sorta looks like your About Me picture!! The figurine looks so familar as well as the Josef name but I don't really know why. Did you google it to find any info? I'm curious now! :) At any rate, you got a bargain!!

Hugs,
Hope

Anonymous said...

You know more than I would have known about it!

She is very cheery looking!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I used to buy Josef figurines for my oldest daughter. Her first birthday she wore a little navy dress with a big white collar. I found the Joesf figurine wearing navy and holding a birthday cake with one candle! I think she still has it!

I would have loved yours because she is wearing yellow! You can glue some flowers to her arm so it will look like she's carrying a nosegay!

Katherine

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Sandra! Thanks for visting me! I love your blog, and you too will be added to my favorites! What a sweet Josef figurine you found. The Goodwill was sure good to us this week! :o) I'm having fun looking through all your older posts too!
-Karoline

Roxie Morrow said...

Anything with the word 'belle' in it, is worth writing about. She is adorable, what a fun thing to collect. I am collecting vintage headvases. There are some pretty ones out there.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. You can still listen to my interview on BlogTalkRadio, it's been archived, just click on the link in the post. I hope you can stop by.

the said...

Wow, you got a real bargain there. I do see those there from time to time, you definately have to know what your looking for !
As far as my aprons, the checkered ones are tea towels and just sewed over to the sides with ribbon for the tie. My daughter made them in like 1 hour! Simple but pretty !

:)

Betty said...

The figurine is beautiful and so cheerful looking....As to the damage....I so thankful that our Heavenly Father doesn't discard us because we're flawed but He loves us anyway......

Thanks for visiting with me....Betty

Anonymous said...

If you are still looking, she is "School Belle" from Josef Original's "Belle" series.