Saturday, March 1, 2008

What Is It About Aprons?

When I was growing up my mom was one of the few women in our neighborhood that had a career outside the home. Every evening she came home from work, changed her shoes and put on her apron over her dress to cook a full course meal for our family of six. She would stay up late at night ironing, sewing, canning, and then up early the next morning cooking breakfast, making lunches, and then off to work again to start the day all over again. I didn't realized just how hard it must have been for her, until I was grown with a family of my own. It makes me tired just thinking about it!

My mom is a wonderful cook and there were always fresh vegtables on the table. I didn't always like to eat them, but she and my daddy always made sure we had plenty of healthy food to eat. When I see apons now it always reminds me of the hours she spent cooking for her family, and how much I appreicate the sacrifices she made for us. I always tended to take the easy way out and fed my family way too many times from the drive-thru; not proud of it but that was just how it was.

Recently I have been looking at aprons on Etsy sites and Ebay. I bought one last week from the 1950's in perfect condition. I don't think it was ever worn. The price tag of .59 cents from W.R. Grant store is still stapled at the hem. I love it!

I purchased another apron also and it has inspired me to cook a little bit more rather than going out to eat six days a week! When I told my family I was going to cook dinner more often since I had my aprons, they just looked at each other with the raised eyebrows. It probably wasn't so much about not believing that I would follow through with my plan as much as they were scared they were going to have to eat my cooking!
~
You know what they say: "You can put a women in the kitchen with an apron, but she still don't know how to cook!"

14 comments:

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Sandra! You're to funny! I have such fond memories of aprons too. My grandma always had one on. She had so many uses for hers. My mom always wore aprons when she entertained. I remember some really beautiful fancy ones made out of organdy. Maybe I should get the ones I have out and put them to good use.
-Karoline

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I have a fondness for aprons too. My mother and grandmother always wore one. There's a real special poem about aprons, I used to have in on the computer that crashed. Have you ever heard it? Maybe we could google and find it if you haven't.

Katherine
I'm answering questions this week, have you asked me anything?

Alison Gibbs said...

Its funny how it takes until we grow up to realise how wonderful our parents are and appreciate all that they did for us.
Alison

Tara said...

Nora

I wear an apron every time I cook--makes me feel like I am doing something so important (plus the pockets help alot!)
:0)

j said...

I am with you on the aprons. I have a few that my grandmother made and they are so special to me. Jennifer

Natasha Burns said...

Too funny!!! Love the apron, it's so pretty. LOL I hope your new cooking venture works for all of you!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Hehehe. You make me smile.

Hubby and I have fallen into the habit of eating out more now that the kids are all gone to heir own homes. Perhaps I need a few aprons to spark a renewed interest in cooking, too!

:-) Rosie

Anonymous said...

Love your aprons. I can't remember my Mom wearing an apron but my grandmother always had one on. Delightful blog you have. Enjoyed reading it so much. ~ Lynn

bluemuf said...

The apron you bought is great. I just love aprons from the 40's and 50's.

Karen

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Sandra,
Funny and sweet post! I don't remember my mom wearing an apron but she cooked three meals aday for her family her entire 83 years. My grandmother wore aprons. I have a couple, but usually only wear them at Thanksgiving or Christmas when I am "dressed up" and cooking. I do love vintage aprons!
Penny

Martha said...

I like your apron - you look like a first class chef! I am sure the kids will get used to home coooking.

Blessings,
~Martie

Hope said...

Well, I'm sure that is a magic apron. When you put it on you instantly become a good cook. My mother had one that looked very similar to yours. She was a great cook too!! :o)

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Hugs,
Hope

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Great post! I'm laughing because I, too, bought myself an apron recently. It wasn't vintage or anything like that. I just bought it because I thought it would help me to want to cook without having to worry about something splattering on my clothes. (Which, since I'm usually sporting a pair a jeans and a raggedy t-shirt, is really a bizarre reason for me buying an apron in the first place! lol) I think my family was afraid of my intentions, as well. My husband is the only one who actually seems to look forward to my cooking. But then again, he loves burnt toast and burnt pork chops and burnt brownies. I guess that explains a lot of the attraction since I can't seem to even boil water without starting a stovetop fire. lol
Love your vintage apron, though. It's very, very sweet. And yes, knowing what my grandma went through raising her family makes me feel positively lazy whenever I see the dust bunnies rolling around on my floor and the laundry piling up in the corners. Women must have been made of sterner stuff back then. :)
Kari

Mrs. Fox said...

:) I bought an apron at a craft fair last summer and I often wonder what I ever did before I had it. They are very practical and have saved more shirts than I care to admit.