Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mother Of The Bride

Well the "countdown" the aisle is on. My daughter is getting married in June so I have the official title of "Mother of the Bride" aka M.O.B., which just happens to be the title of a book my daughter bought me at a used book store. I guess she thought I needed a little direction in this area.

This is what I have learned so far:

  • Gown Shopping: You tear up after seeing your baby girl in the first one or two beautiful gowns. But after hundreds of miles on the car going from town to town, bridal shop to bridal shop, gown #75 (the one that looks like it just came off a mermaid, and has feathers coming out the backside) you just smile and say "Hey that one looks good, let's buy that one!" She just rolls her eyes, shakes her head no and we move on to the next boutique.
  • If it has the word BRIDAL in front of it, the cost is 100% more than it would otherwise. A pair of white shoes at a department store $50; a pair of white "bridal" shoes $100+.

  • The bridal stores offer "Packages" just like funeral homes.
  • The "perfect dress" is only carried at a store two hours from home . . . and yes I did cry when she tried that one on. She is beautiful in it.
  • Thank God for family! My sister is a photographer, my sister-in-law the wedding director, my husband just happens to work at a funeral home . . . he will be driving the limo.
  • The last and most important thing I have learned is that it only seems like yesterday she was born, and 23 years have gone by in the blink of an eye. And I have cherished the time spent with her planning the perfect wedding. My baby isn't a baby anymore.

13 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

How exciting. if you are tearing up with the wedding dresses wait until she walks down the aisle.
It is such a wonderful experience.
Alison

Tara said...

How did time go so quickly, right??She looks like a cutie!

Hope said...

Oh, Sandra, this brought back memories for me of my own daughter's wedding which was 18 yers ago. It also reminded me of the high prices too!! My daughter says now, if she had it to do over, she would take the money and run..elope! :o)

Good luck to you!

Hugs,
Hope

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Congratulations on being a MOB. This will be a whirlwind of a Spring for you!! :-) Rosie

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Sounds like a cute book on MOBs! Enjoy all the preparations!

Katherine

Dena said...

What a wonderful and exciting time. I only have boys but this reminded me of when I was getting married and the days my mom and I spent together looking at dresses.

Blessings to you and your daughter.

Dena

jen duncan said...

Oh gosh...thanks for the advice! Would you believe we have four daughters ranging from ages 25 to 32 and haven't had to pay for a wedding yet? Maybe I should say 'thanks for the warning!' lol. (and thanks for visiting my blog, too!)

Kathleen Grace said...

What a beautiful daughter! Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I look forward to some day seeing my girls walk down the aisle, I think it will be one of the most beautiful experiences a mom can have:>)

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Sandra! How true when the word bridal is added to anything! Oh, but it really is worth every penny. We probably should be saving for our now 3 and 5 year old girls weddings someday - I can imagine the time arrives quickly. Oh boy!
-Karoline

Liz Harrell said...

'Packages like funeral homes'

That made me laugh out loud. How funny.

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Aw this is so exciteing!
I love weddings!

Hugz, Dolly

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Hi Nora. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Your daughter is lovely. Our oldest is 20 and I can relate with you on "how can this happen?" "When did they grow up?" So fast. . . time just marches on. Embrace, enjoy and treasure each day.

Blessings,

Sher

Natasha Burns said...

Hello MOB! How exciting for you (well for the most part! LOL!). I love your tips and things you found out - I'm a bridesmaid for the first time in one month from today and everything you are saying rings true! The bridal industry is huge and so profitable! If you asked for a bunch of flowers tied up with nice ribbon they'd be $100. If you say it's a bridal bouquet, it's suddenly hundreds more!!!
Good luck with it all!

Oh and your bowl in the post below is so divine and I am so sad that it broke! It really should have been packed in loads of bubbles but most importantly, sitting in a big bed of packing peanuts in a nice big box. How annoying for you! I hope you find another one!