Sunday, January 27, 2008

Winter Birds

What a beautiful sight outside my kitchen window this morning, bright red cardinals enjoying their breakfast.

I even had a red headed woodpecker seeking out something to eat this morning at the feeder. It amazes me how this bird has to hang backwards just to get their beak into the feeder to get the seed. This is the first picture I have been able to get of this woodpecker, he is always looking around and will fly off quickly at the slightest movement.


During the winter months when all the leaves are off the trees it is nice to see so many at one time. It is usually during the early morning that they all come out together. There was a family of six flying all around, and taking turns at the feeder.

The Red Bird

by Evaleen Stein

Swept lightly by the south wind
The elm-leaves softly stirred,
And in their pale green clusters
There straightway bloomed a bird!

His glossy feathers glistened
With dyes as richly red
As any tulip flaming
From out the garden bed.

But ah, unlike the tulips,
In joyous strain, ere long,
This red-bird flower unfolded
A heart of golden song!

17 comments:

Hope said...

Hi Sandra,
What a beautiful post and beautiful pictures! I have 2 cardinals in my yard a lot but I haven't been able to get pictures yet. My kitchen windows in this old house are so high I can see out them or I could probably get some good shots!:) The cardinal is the VA state bird too.

Thanks for sharing the cheer today! Happy Sunday!

Hugs,
Hope

Alison Gibbs said...

What fabulous photos. The cardinals are such a beautiful looking bird - so vibrant.
Alison

Lori said...

how beautiful your birds are!!! as for the woodpecker, my birds are usually shy too {except for that robin, she doesn't care who sees her} so my birds are usually photographed through the window...your pictures are wonderful:)

a Pocket Angel said...

Nora Lee, What a beautiful Cardinal! I have them too in my yard here in Northeast Ohio.. They are so beautiful especially seeing them against the snow we have right now. The poem is so lovely. Hope all is well with you.
Hugs & love ~Mary~

Kelli said...

I love birdwatching! You took some wonderful pictures of your feathered friends!
Kelli

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I love to feed wild birds my husband say they eat better than he does. Thank-you for stopping in at my blog. It is always nice to get a visiter. Your blog is very nice. I got that dish rack at T.J Maxx. It was only $15.00 May be you can find it on line. Let me know. I have seen them at Home goods as well.Good luck
ginger

nannykim said...

Great pics; I love birds and I have a feeder in the front and the back. I even saw a Baltimore Oriole (spelling?) yesterday!!

Anonymous said...

Sandra ~ Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for the beautiful comment that you left regarding the post about my Dad. . . . .such comforting thoughts, and I truly thank you. . . . So happy to have found your blog now, too ~ and more eye candy for me to peruse. . . . :)

Sentimentally Me said...

Ohhh good grief! WHy did my post show up as ANONYMOUS??!! So sorry 'bout that, it's really ME :) Patrice

Betty said...

Nora Lee,
What a modern looking bird feeder...last year had many different species of birds come to visit....God's beautiful creatures...

Thanks for the visit and comment on my pewter bunny tray....Betty

Anonymous said...

The poem is beautiful!!!!

Betty said...

Sandra,
Please come by to pick up your award.....Betty

Tara said...

Can't believe you got a still of the woodpecker--what a great shot!

Brittany said...

Hi Sandra!! Beautiful poem and photos!! I love cardinals!

:)Brittany

j said...

Very pretty - makes me feel tranquil. Jennifer

Joyce said...

I just stopped in to say "Hello" I saw you via Mary's site (Isabella's Closet) I read on your comment to her that you were looking for a "Cloche" to display things under. I saw several shapes and sizes at our local "Hobby Lobby" store. I am not sure if you have one of them in your area.
I loved the photos of your "Red Birds" as we called them when we were little!
Thanks for the visit.....
Joyce

Julieann said...

Oh what wonderful little birds--and you were able to capture them on film too---Beautiful.

Julieann