Monday, March 31, 2008

Thrifting Jackpot!

Last week was a rough week at work, so Friday night I browsed the newspaper for local yard sales to spend a little time thrifting, which always is a fun stress reliever. Since the weather is beginning to warm up a bit the yard sale signs are starting to spring up about as quick as the flowers around here! I came across the perfect one: "Yard Sale/Estate Sale, Depression Glass, Antiques and more. . ." Great! I set the alarm for 6:30 a.m. and planned to be one of the first ones there. Well when the alarm went off I heard the rain pouring down and the wind blowing it against the windows . . .the sale was postponed. Oh well, there is always the Goodwill, nice, warm, and dry; best of all I could sleep in a little longer.

There are five Goodwill stores within about a 15 mile radius of my home, so I headed to my "lucky" one, and I was not disappointed. Heading straight for the housewares section I spotted a four place setting of Homer Laughlin Eggshell Georgian dishes! The plates, cups, one saucer, and three bread plates were all along the shelf. I snatched up those dishes so fast the people around me thought I was having some kind of spasm. I got all of this for $4

Each cup and plate are rimmed in gold and the flowers are so pretty. When I researched these specific dishes and the markings, they were made around 1937. (If anyone knows anything else about this specific pattern or design I would love to hear your comments).

The markings on each piece is B55N5

Isn't this place setting beautiful!

My next find was a glass dome which I been looking for and found for only $1. I discovered this great idea from Tina over at Cherry Hill Cottage and have wanted to make one of these. It turned out beautifully.

Maybe I'll make some mini-muffins this week and try it out.

These one only two of my thrifting finds at Goodwill I will share the others this week.

16 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What great Thrift finds.
Love the dome.
Thanks for visiting and checking out my buttons
Alison

Jen Glover said...

Ahhh! I love checking out what you find. Too beautiful! For my wedding, I used tea pots as center pieces on every table (it was an garden wedding). I found all sorts of beautiful teapots at Goodwills... I also put little candies with our initials on them in various tea cups and saucers. They were all miss-matched, but I prefer "Shabby Chic!"

Happy Monday Cutie!

Betty said...

Gorgeous dishes....you did well, girl friend....

So much fun to go thrifting....so many blessings to find...

Thanks for visiting with me...please come again...Betty

Muum said...

Those are wonderful dishes. thanks for visiting my blog last week!

Tara said...

aren't these just lovely? Nice for you!

the said...

WOW! You found some great things, I love it when that happens! Makes your day :)
Stephanie

Linda said...

I love your finds. Your dishes are the sweetest and I love the dome too...they are so fun. Linda

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What a great find! I love the dishes.

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Sandra! Anything Homer Laughlin is a tresaure in my book. That was an amazing find! The glass dome footed plate turned out pretty too.
-Karoline

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

I can't pass up pretty china either!
Love all the goodies you found!

Have a wonderful day,
Hugz,
Dolly

love.boxes said...

Lovely find! So beautiful!

Felicia said...

What beautiful new treasures :)

Joy for the Journey said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier. I love the dishes!!!! I'd have snapped them up, too. A great find. Don't you love when you have a 'go to' place that never disappoints?
Have a great day -
Sarah

Nonnas News said...

I love to go to garage sales and thrift stores!! I love the little muffin stand you made from your purchases!!

Rose of Sharon said...

You lucky girl! You surely did score today! I love the china and cannot believe you only paid $4.00! I have seen those creations on Tina's blog and have wanted to make one myself! Your's turned out darling. What did you use for the glue?

Hugs! Sharon

Nora Lee said...

I actually used super glue, but I suppose you could use a glue gun as well.