Saturday, March 29, 2008

Simple Beauty

I took this picture on Easter Sunday afternoon. Daffodils are so pretty and they last such a short time, but as soon as they bloom it is another reminder that winter is almost over. This picture reminded me of one of my favorite poems by William Wordsworth.


"Daffodils" (1804)

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).

4 comments:

Rue said...

Beautiful flower and wonderful poem :)

Have a wonderful day tomorrow,
rue

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh what pretty daffodils.
I remember learning that poem at school.
Alison

Priscilla said...

Hi, Nice to meet you, I love this poem, I have heard it before but a long time ago. This time of year is so refreshing with the bursts of colour amongst the cold, happy spring to you and thank you for your lovely comments on my tea post....

Prisciclla x

Rose of Sharon said...

That is beautiful! I love all the daffodils too. I, sadly, don't have any in my yard though. At least I get to enjoy them in everyone elses yard!

Hugs, Sharon