Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Second 5K - "What was that pop sound?"

A couple of weeks ago I ran in my second 5K race. It was a beautiful day and my sister and nephew were running also. We had ran a similar course just a few days before that and were pumped to be racing together again. I even bought me a cute pink Nike hat for my run. We gathered at the starting line and as soon as the starter blew the horn we took off. Right before I got to the first mile mark I heard something pop in my hip/leg...ouch! Talking myself up: "Just walk it out for a second don't be a whimp." I waved my sister on ahead and stated to run again, then two very loud pops... OUCH!

Let's just say I never made it to the finish line on my own. After managing to walk/limp/whimper along to the 2.5 mile mark, I had to stop. A kindly race sponsor radioed for someone to come pick me up. I crossed the finish line in a pick up truck; just as my sister was about to come look for me.
At least my nephew won a trophy for coming in second place in his age group!
Oh yeah, that popping was the sound of my leg/thigh muscle tearing.

Note to self: Stop running after you hear it pop the first time! I will race another day...I hope those aren't words I will regret.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Ouch!!!! That must have really hurt! I'm running my second 5K this morning so, too, so wish me luck!

Have a great day!
Robyn